• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Is Cardio Best Before or After Lifting?

Is Cardio Best Before or After Lifting?
    A new study is finally giving us the answer. Check this out.
    by Kyle Arsenault | 10/13/16

The Best Time to Do Conditioning Work

Should you do your conditioning, metcon, or cardio work before or after lifting? Many say to do it before because it acts as a warm-up. Others say it interferes with the "money" part of your training: lifting weights.

Who's right? Turns out, the experienced lifters who said to do it AFTER weight training were correct. Completing aerobic endurance exercise before resistance training will negatively impact your ability to perform at your highest potential during the lifting part of your session.
    The New Study

A recent study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that when healthy, resistance-trained men performed aerobic endurance exercise before a resistance training session...

Fewer reps were completed
    Average power and velocity of lifts were significantly reduced
    Ratings of perceived exertion were greater
    Heart rates were higher when compared to the control group

HIIT First Drops Lifting Performance

One of four different treadmill running protocols were used as part of the aerobic endurance exercise portion:

60% of the participant's VO2 reserve for 45 minutes
    75% of the participant's VO2 reserve for 20 minutes
    90-100% of the participant's VO2 reserve for intervals of 3 minutes (a 1:1 work to rest ratio) for 5 sets
    75% of the participant's VO2 reserve at a 6-9% uphill incline for 20 minutes

Researchers found that there were differing degrees of the drop in performance measures across the groups, with the high intensity interval group experiencing the greatest reduction.

This is important because stress consolidation, or completing all of your higher intensity efforts in the same time period, is encouraged as it allows for greater recovery from session to session. But don't make the mistake of performing your high intensity conditioning before you lift.
    Weights First

If you're going to complete aerobic endurance exercise in the same workout as a weight training, do the resistance training first. End of discussion.
    Reference

Ratamess, Nicholas A. et al. (October 2016). Acute Resistance Exercise Performance Is Negatively Impacted by Prior Aerobic Endurance Exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol. 30 (10).
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • MindlessWork
    • Aug 2011

Interesting read and I do stairmaster/exercycle after my workout, but in cold weather I'd do some *light* cardio to get cold muscles warmed up and ready for pre-workout stretching.

I did notice if I did cardio before my money-shot workout I was more drained, than when doing cardio post-workout so this seems spot-on in my experience.
    “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• HDH
      • Jun 2015

I prefer to do mine totally separate from my lifting.

I just go twice a day when I do cardio.

This cut I didn't do much cardio, the diet and GH were very effective but by not hitting the cardio hard with higher calories, I don't believe my conditioning is where it should be for my weight.

H

Comment

• andrew0409
        Vet
        • Sep 2016

For me, if I'm trying to lift big for a good workout and improve my endurance I always lift first.

Comment

• USNCTT
          VET
          • Aug 2006

I do mine after I lift. No specific reason just what works for me I guess.

Comment

• millenium girl
            • Apr 2006

I tried both and I prefer doing cardio after lifting. If I start with cardio I have not enough energy left to lift weights.
            Don't forget to join
            http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
            http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• MR. BMJ
              • Apr 2006

If I do it in the afternoon, I do it after training. That said, i'll do it in the morning every now and then if I can drag my ass out of bed early enough

Comment

Working...