X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrutalHoney
    VET
    • Nov 2016

Triceps: Bench vs. Press

So it seems pretty accepted that the long head of the triceps is the one that really contributes to the bench press. People call the lateral head the lazy head because it doesn't do anything. And the next day if anything in my tri's feel it, it's on the inside.

But when overhead pressing, I think the lateral head is the deciding factor. I'm basing this on what feels like it's worked the most the next day... and by the feeling I get doing lying extensions that reminds me most of pressing (with a grip at the same width).

Anyone else notice this?
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

I feel more outer head working when pressing overhead.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• b52
      • Oct 2006

Hand positioning has a lot to do with it

Comment

• myosaurus
        Vet
        • Mar 2014

overhead press showed more lateral head recruitment in MRI. there was a book titled muscle meets magnets I believe showed many exercises and muscles recruited.

Comment

• Glycomann

Presses and dips seem to work well for me. For thickness and tight-in lying french press with a heavy dumbbell done almost lie a pullover.

Comment

• BrutalHoney
            VET
            • Nov 2016

^
            sounds like a modified rollback?

anyway, i actually ask because i'm (over?) analyzing what it'll take to get my press up even MORE because i love overhead pressing.

Comment

• BrutalHoney
              VET
              • Nov 2016

update if anyone's ever looking for answers...

i think the two best things to add to overhead presses (concerning triceps) are close grip bench presses and lying extensions (i like ez-curl bar and medium grip). they mimic and add to the triceps portion of the press like none other.

Comment

• Dakota
                VET
                • Feb 2017

Bar vs Dumbell makes a difference too. Heavy Dumbells require stabilization and seem to work the different heads based on positioning.
                The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Cg bench, skull crushers & French press. With French press I prefer the old school way using an EZ bar vs a db, simply bcoz it's easier to handle once you start getting over 120-130 lbs.

Comment

• BrutalHoney
                    VET
                    • Nov 2016

Yeah DBs change a lot with the palms facing in vs down. I find they lend themselves more to the bench, SPECIFICALLY an elbows-out DB extension. Probably the best bench-triceps exercise I've personally ever tried.

Comment

Working...