• Show
Clear All
  • black7
    Vet
    • Feb 2007

i am insane, so it makes it ok?

S.F. mom gets 25 to life for killing daughter

(11-25) 09:01 PST SAN FRANCISCO --

A San Francisco woman who asphyxiated her 3-year-old daughter during an apparent suicide attempt in their Ingleside Terrace home was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison Tuesday.
    More Crime News

Linda Woo, 43, was sentenced in San Francisco Superior Court by Judge Cynthia Ming-Mei Lee for first-degree murder. Woo will serve a concurrent term of seven years to life for the attempted murder of her 4-year-old son, who survived the incident.

On March 29, 2006, Woo was found inside a car in her garage with her two unconscious children. The daughter, Olive Murphy, was pronounced dead at the scene, and the boy suffered brain injuries.

According to prosecutors, Woo told the children they were going on a camping trip, led them into the car in the garage and lit a portable barbecue.

Prosecutors said Woo had been trying to get back at a man who broke off an affair with her while she was still married to the children's father.

When Woo didn't bring the children to day care, the school contacted her estranged husband. He called friends, one of whom discovered the mother and children in the garage at 370 Moncada Way and phoned 911.

Woo, who worked as a principal project manager at Pacific Gas and Electric Co. in San Francisco, was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

At the trial, Woo's therapist testified that she suffered from depression and had talked repeatedly about committing suicide after stopping her medication.

Woo's attorney argued that Woo grappled with a "major depressive disorder" that was so severe she was not responsible for her acts.

A San Francisco jury convicted her in April and rejected Woo's claims the following month that she had been insane at the time of the incident.

Read more:
    Tempus fugit, Carpe diem.

• black7
    Vet
    • Feb 2007

Woo's attorney argued that Woo grappled with a "major depressive disorder" that was so severe she was not responsible for her acts.

A San Francisco jury convicted her in April and rejected Woo's claims the following month that she had been insane at the time of the incident.
    bullshit
    Tempus fugit, Carpe diem.

Comment

• Lokedogg
      Vet
      • Jan 2008

That "insanity" thingy fucked up my understanding of justice since I was a child. I understand it to a certain degree- someone molest your child- you fucking destroy them.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

MI has a guilty but insane law. Guilty but insane in MI implies that you do the crime you still do the time.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• mrhtbd

If the arm is connected to the brain,
          then the excuse can't be insane.

I almost tore a dude's head off last week,
          and used most of my strength just to hold myself back.
          Now THAT was insane, considering he needed it to be done badly, but this shit with the kids, no, that's neglect and stupidity, and contrary to a popular misconception, one IS responsible for their ignorance.

Comment

Working...