• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • black7
    Vet
    • Feb 2007

Healthcare bill includes tanning tax, signage regulations

Healthcare bill includes tanning tax, signage regulations

There's a bright side to business at Electric Sun Tanning Salon. Customers seeking some rays keep Sandy Sutch and her employees busy.

But that could soon change.

"You're going to lose some business in this. And, right now, we're a luxury," Sutch explained.

It's not because of demand. The salon is busy with spring break, prom, and graduations on the calendar.

The losses could come as a result of the healthcare bill signed into law this week.

The law does address healthcare issues, but it also mandates a 10% excise tax on tanning services, starting in July.

Sutch says those costs will have to go straight to the customer.

"I think that they are going to put a lot of people out of business. How do you tax people who aren't in business any longer? I think it's going to hurt our industry," Sutch said.

Salons aren't the only places with newly mandated regulations.

Chain restaurants will soon be required to post the calories in their food on their standard menus. Doing that could prove tricky.

"You have to realize, meals come in small, mediums, and larges, so it can actually become quite an eye chart over there when you start to look at the different options that are available," said Jack Galassini, who represents McDonald's.

Some residents don't mind the idea.

"I think it's good. Because people are on a big health kick now, so I think that's good," explained one woman.

Others don't like the government reaching this far.

"When you see the way it was passed--and 70% of the people don't like it--the whole thing is just sickening," said Larry Webster of Mathews.

There are a lot of changes coming by way of the new law, including penalties.

Starting in 2014, the government can fine you for not having qualifying health coverage.
    Tempus fugit, Carpe diem.

• black7
    Vet
    • Feb 2007

our government is becoming a communist lol...
    Tempus fugit, Carpe diem.

Comment

• Rocky07

our government is becoming SHIT! i swear guys the longer and longer i live in america, the more and more i begin to hate our government...this healthcare bill will also state that christian pastors cant preach against homosexuality.
      Obama can have all this "change" shit! we definitely need change tho--we need to change the whole body of politics from these greedy ass losers we have now to people that actually have some damn sense...damnit black whyd u have to get me started?!...now im pissed

ill tell u one thing though...i bet thaose motherfuckers cant put a tax on a ray of actual sunlight

Comment

• tacosupreem

fiscal liberals... need to die

Comment

• USNCTT
          VET
          • Aug 2006

Our quality of healthcare is going to go to shit mark my words. We are going to have way over worked Drs and Nurses because everyone and their brother is going to take advantage of this to the extreme, "I have a cold, better go to the dr" and so forth. Also what stops homeless people from coming in off the streets and claiming they have chest pain so they get admitted just so they can get a nice bed to sleep in and a meal for the night. I work at a hospital and its hospital policy to admit anyone who comes in with chest pains. Not to mention wait times in ER is going to sky rocket. Hell its bad enough now where we have people waiting hrs to be seen and now you are going to have double or even triple the volume. It is going to get bad ppl

Comment

• Rocky07

obama will definitely be a 1 term president...he has fucked more shit up in his presidential term than any president in history.
            im not a big country music fan but im gonna stick with Hank Williams Jr.--he said "I'll keep my guns, money, freedom, and religion, and you can keep the CHANGE!"

Comment

• mrhtbd

I am focusing on being healthy.

Comment

Working...