X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit234
    VET
    • Mar 2004

A story that needed to be heard

Last week my uncle passed away at the age of 97. Many of us thought that he lived a very full and happy life, and I'm sure he did.

What many of us did not know was that was that before he passed, he was one of the remaining WWII veterans still alive.

My family is of Chinese descent, I grew up in the states, and had the sense of entitlement to the comforts that my family did not have. My grandfather hid inside a sewer for almost a week and nearly starved to death because of the presense of Japanese Soldiers.

So the general consensus among my immediate family for those of Japanese descent is not one that is very friendly.

Fast forward a little bit, but uncle got the chance to Immigrate to the United States living in a very slummy neighborhood working as a laborer speaking absolutely no English. Having not much of an education, he tried to learn.

He was drafted as an Enlisted Airman in the United States Air Corps to serve in World War II in the Pacific. And by pacific, I mean opening a can of whoopass on the island nation of the rising sun.

He answered his call of duty while facing discrimination from Enlisted and Officers who looked nothing like him. And never spoke of the atrocities that he saw even at family functions, either that or he pretended he couldn't hear well. He just ate alot and watched a lot of television. When I asked him about China-Japanese relations, or joining the military, he was very modest and just said life is hard, get use to it.

Now we have to arrange for a 30 car caravan with a possed of bag-pipers, and a crew of 21 gun salute servicemen. Traffic will suck, lol.

He was already in deteriorating condition and was exremely weak. But a week before he went he mustered up the energy, he packed his rucksack, shined his shoes, folded all his clothes and had them squared away in the corner of his room, when my aunt asked him wtf was he doing, his only reply was "its gunna be a long trip, i dont like doing things at the last moment"
    BRICKS NO HIT BACK.
  • millenium girl
    • Apr 2006

May your uncle rest in peace. I met a couple of WWII veterans last year -- there are not many left unfortunately.

This will be a very cool ceremony, Hermit, I'm sure that your uncle would have loved it!
    Don't forget to join
    http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
    http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• Dieviolent

Originally posted by hermit234
      Last week my uncle passed away at the age of 97. Many of us thought that he lived a very full and happy life, and I'm sure he did.

What many of us did not know was that was that before he passed, he was one of the remaining WWII veterans still alive.

My family is of Chinese descent, I grew up in the states, and had the sense of entitlement to the comforts that my family did not have. My grandfather hid inside a sewer for almost a week and nearly starved to death because of the presense of Japanese Soldiers.

So the general consensus among my immediate family for those of Japanese descent is not one that is very friendly.

Fast forward a little bit, but uncle got the chance to Immigrate to the United States living in a very slummy neighborhood working as a laborer speaking absolutely no English. Having not much of an education, he tried to learn.

He was drafted as an Enlisted Airman in the United States Air Corps to serve in World War II in the Pacific. And by pacific, I mean opening a can of whoopass on the island nation of the rising sun.

He answered his call of duty while facing discrimination from Enlisted and Officers who looked nothing like him. And never spoke of the atrocities that he saw even at family functions, either that or he pretended he couldn't hear well. He just ate alot and watched a lot of television. When I asked him about China-Japanese relations, or joining the military, he was very modest and just said life is hard, get use to it.

Now we have to arrange for a 30 car caravan with a possed of bag-pipers, and a crew of 21 gun salute servicemen. Traffic will suck, lol.

He was already in deteriorating condition and was exremely weak. But a week before he went he mustered up the energy, he packed his rucksack, shined his shoes, folded all his clothes and had them squared away in the corner of his room, when my aunt asked him wtf was he doing, his only reply was "its gunna be a long trip, i dont like doing things at the last moment"
      I think his view on life is an inspiration to many of us who may find it hard to continue daily. He faced adversity unlike any most of us will ever see and kept going. He must have been a good man. May he rest in peace.

Comment

• Number-LL
        Vet
        • Jan 2012

RIP! Sounds like a struggle but well worth it to see the younger generation of the family live better then he did.

My grandfather is almost 92 and a WWII veteran. He received a purple heart at Normandy. He got selected to go on the Honor Flight to DC to see the memorial a year or two ago. Luckily he did because unfortunately his mind is starting to go fast. Boy does that man have some good stories!
        I don't chase boys, I pass them! - My Daughter

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.

Comment

• bufbiker

What a legacy. You have big shoes to fill brother!

Comment

• willi
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I salute him and I send you my condolences.
            So I hear things should get easier for him now. I know I'm counting on that.

Comment

• Darkness
              • Apr 2011

Thanks for posting that. The stuff these men were/are made of is highly uncommon today.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Much respect to your uncle and may he rest in peace.

Comment

• mrhtbd

There are too many stories of the WWII generation that will never get told. Thank you for sharing your family history. I found it meaningful.

Comment

• hermit234
                    VET
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks for the great responses. I will finally have time to be around a little more. He is Budhist (sp?), so I am kind of amused to see how it will turn out with you throw in a bunch of Irish Bag-pipers, Gun salute guys, and a ton of monks chanting.

If anyone is familiar with the downtown Chinatown area, the area by the police plaza pulling out into confucius plaza is already a traffic nightmare, i'll take pics for you guys.

IF this is any divine coincindence at all, an Army Officer Recruiter gave me a call today because of my transcripts and letters of rec.
                    BRICKS NO HIT BACK.

Comment

• Overload
                      Vet
                      • Jun 2012

May he rest in peace.

Very few men of honor left these days.

Comment

• A.B
                        VET
                        • Jun 2004

Thanks for posting this and sorry for your loss.

Comment

• hermit234
                          VET
                          • Mar 2004

edited due to content that i dont want on the net
                          Last edited by hermit234; 04-26-2013, 03:03 AM. Reason: asdf
                          BRICKS NO HIT BACK.

Comment

• hermit234
                            VET
                            • Mar 2004

BRICKS NO HIT BACK.

Comment

• hermit234
                              VET
                              • Mar 2004

BRICKS NO HIT BACK.

Comment